Monday, May 7, 2012

Running in Circles








 This fine Monday morning was spent at the Downtown YMCA on the indoor track. I took a few snapshots along my route just to share the craziness of running in circles with such a beautiful skyline just on the other side of the window. I had made my mind up that re-calibrating my Garmin foot pod was my #1 goal for today.  In reading my new book (see below) along with some fancy google research, I have lost faith in the treadmill distance since the data favors that most treadmills are miscalibrated by sometimes as great as 1/8 mile. When you are sweating and burning calories at 5am, every inch of that black never-ending belt counts, and I want it to be accurate. In re-calibrating the pod along the middle lane on the indoor running/walking track, I found a significant discrepancy. The last calibration was setup on the treadmill which put the factor at approx 920. This morning's calibration was 820. Now, the factor can be different based on the treadmill keeping me at a steady pace or even from the difference in my new shoes. Either way...Mission accomplished! All in all, I ended up racking up about 2 1/2 miles this morning and burning 335 calories based on the Garmin.


Gotta love this guy's theories...
Top 3 Goals of a 5K/10K Runner
1. Finish in the upright position.
2. Have a smile on your face.
3. Want to do it again.

Before I forget to tell you...my hubby has officially been sucked into the fitness vortex. He is reading another of Galloway's books every night at bedtime. As I lay exhausted and cross-eyed while trying to read a page or two of my book, he is highlighting his way thru each page of his. If I didn't know better, I think he is probably preparing ME to take a test at the end. Instead of listening to romantic tunes or watching a few minutes of our favorite sitcom, he is reading me bedtime stories about how to run correctly and how to train properly. In addition, he emailed me a grid that outlines our training schedule for the 1/2 Marathon in November. But...I wouldn't change a thing! I so love this handsome, bald man and look forward to spending many short/long runs together in the years to come. If their is one thing you must know about David Farmer...he does nothing half-ass!

In thinking about this morning's events, I have to giggle as I share my "OOPS!" moment. As many of my friends know all too well, I drag myself out of bed and to the gym about 3-4 mornings of the week. Aware that I am quite absentminded in the early morning hours, I pack my gym bag the night before. Over the course of the last 18 months, I have forgotten a bra, underwear, and socks at various times. However, my makeup bag seems to have never ended up on the "Forgotten" list until this morning. Yes, I presented myself to the Vandy world today...totally naked. Well, bare faced that is...hehehe. Not even a lick of mascara on the pitiful lashes. Thankfully, all of my work mates have restrained their laughter and joke making considering I look like the walking dead on a Monday morning. Heck, I will just blame it on a rough weekend :)

Speaking of the weekend...


David's "Birthday Cake"

Saturday was full of fun and memory making opportunities. I can honestly say that I had a great time getting my 14-year-old baby girl ready for her 8th Grade Formal despite my worry that I would have been stressed out just trying to make it thru the day. David's B-Day was Saturday as well so I wanted to do something special for him as well. David and I had been looking at home scales that measure body fat %. Our current scales are not the most consistent and don't measure %. Honestly, we were just looking for more consistency with weight checks but wanted a few more bells and whistles on a newer model. After a little research, I decided on one and purchased it thru Amazon for his birthday. I know that sounds odd for a birthday gift, but I am noted for this kind of thing. For his 40th birthday (4 years ago), I gave him Metamucil. To be perfectly honest, I went to Walmart for miscellaneous items and thought of the Metamucil for him while I was there since my mom had been swearing by it for our "aging bowels". In retrospect, I should have held off in giving it to him on another day besides May 5th. Needless to say, it didn't go over very well :/ . However, I think the scale idea was a hit. It should be here this week so I will post pics of his (our) new toy once is arrives. The other dilemma was what kind of dessert to make for his birthday since he is watching his calories, etc. Considering I knew he wouldn't eat more than a small piece of a cake and the rest would be tossed in the trash within a couple of days of sitting on the counter growing stale, I decided to make a tempting and tasty creation that could be eaten in moderation.


Formal 2012...Class of 2016

We had a great evening at dinner. Katie and her friends decided to eat Japanese at Shogun. We (David, me, and Dannah) were chaperons (aka body guards)..hahaha. Actually, many of the parents asked if we were going since none of them wanted to so we decided to follow the limo there but sit separately from the crew (as to keep from embarrassing Katie with our presence) and celebrate David's B-day dinner there. More or less, we tagged along for the other parents' and our own peace of mind since 10 eighth graders could have been too much for any Hibachi chef :) Each and every one of them were well-behaved and made me proud to be associated with such a fine group of teenagers.

Loved our cook!

The guys and gals were all chauffeured back to the school for the party. David, Dannah, and I  made our way to the couch at home. Lots of great memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment