Friday, May 18, 2012

Weigh Day Friday


Our neighborhood...530am
David and I decided that we would workout together this morning so the alarm sounded at about 4:45am for me to rise and shine. I have about a 30-45 minute routine that is nearly mandatory before I can get myself out the door so I needed a head start on him. I usually stumble over the cat and dog on my way to the kitchen to feed them and start the brew. Starting the morning with a cup of coffee and bathroom break seems to be priority and this morning was no different...I am a creature of habit. Am I the only person that feels more motivated after a good poop first thing in the morning? I feel lighter on my feet with less jiggle over all...guess that suggests that I am usually "full of shit"...hahaha. 
The satellite view of my workout this AM
Dressed with chest strap in place and Garmin reset...we were out the door by 530am. I like getting a little earlier start but today could be a little more relaxed since I am working from home so I could get up more on David's schedule. We started out walking the block together just for warm-up and then the real work started. Today is the day that I thought I was going to beat the man that I love and adore over the head with a large object.  I had planned to keep the same pace as he does with walking and running. My brisk walk is a bit ahead of him but his average jog is ahead of me. All in all, it usually balances out but I wanted to step up my run this morning so I planned to keep up with him with each interval (run 1 min, walk 4 min). We were doing well until we started running during the first interval. He stretched his legs out and took off in a mad sprint. Of course, he was not the nutty one. I was the idiot that tried to keep up. My lungs were screaming STOP and my legs were circling so fast...I think I saw a glimpse of smoke off of my heels :) That dash was enough to make me realize...We must run our own race! After I recovered (about 2 minutes later) as I continued to walk, I decided to do my own thing...which is quite unorganized but it seems to work for me. When I run outside, I don't try to do intervals...I just run until I feel physically taxed (around a 167-170 heart rate) and then resume the brisk walk. I try to set my sites on a point in the path that I will run again which is usually about 30 feet ahead. Overall, I averaged about a 13 1/2 minute mile by the end of the first 30 minutes. Lame, I know...but it works for me for now. Once David knocked out his 30 minutes, he headed inside to get ready for work, but I went ahead and continued on after grabbing the iPod. I ended up walking another 45 minutes or so but paid no real attention to speed.

Total Calorie Burn: 613 ; Total distance: 5.28 mi


After I returned home, I grabbed Gretchen and headed out for another 1/4 mile to walk her. She has gained a few extra pounds related to her newly diagnosed thyroid issues and general inactivity. Can't bear to see her plump and struggle at age 6 so we are going to increase her exercise daily (if possible). She enjoyed the walk as evidenced by her desire to go again, and I enjoyed the cool down :)


Well, today is Weigh Day Friday. As I had mentioned before, we have purchased a new scale for David's B-Day a couple of weeks ago. It arrived mid-week but I have waited until today to record my weight so that I could do a little comparison between the old and the new scale. David seems to have enjoyed the multi-functions of the new Tanita scale because it tracks Total Body Fat % and Total Body Water %. Of course, those numbers can vary from day to day but we are looking for trending overall.


Today's verdict: 195.8 on the new Tanita Scale (41.2% Fat, 42.2% Water)

According to the Tanita information that came with the scale, the Body Water % for females should be between 45-60% so I better get to hydrating. Body Fat % for my age is somewhere between 23-34% so I have a long way to go...but I am on my way :) Back in October 2010, I weighed in on a Tanita scale at Taylor's office where I was approx 48%  Body Fat (if I remember correctly).

In comparison, I weighed in on the old WW scale today as well. Today's weight: 194.4. So according to the old scale, this week's total loss = 1.1 pounds. I will only weigh on the new Tanita starting next week but was curious about the difference between the WW versus Tanita scales for the first Tanita weigh in.  Cheers to another successful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment