Sunday, November 24, 2013

Going 1/2 Crazy!


My life has taken many turns over the last 3 years but this one is noteworthy.

Dating back to April 2011, I was crazy enough to do the Country Music 1/2 Marathon. For a gal that had rarely ever even walked a mile without feeling exhausted, 13.1 seemed a little hypothetical until I actually committed. I trained with Gilda's Gang in support of those that have struggled with the big C word also known as cancer. I ran in memory of my step-father along with a dear HS friend and in honor of my father-in-law and uncle. As part of the commitment to the Gilda's Club, we were to raise at least $750. I struggled to get donations and definitely didn't have the cash to donate from my own budget. An old HS friend of mine had planned to train with us as well but life's noise got in the way so she wasn't able to participate. She surprised me and rolled her fundraising into my account so I met my minimum with flying colors. Now that's just plain good stuff! Long story short...15 weeks was still not enough time for me to train effectively but I still gave it my all and completed that 1/2 marathon in just over 3 hours.

Over the course of the last 2 1/2 years, my uncle and father-in-law have succumbed to the cancers that they had battled; in addition, my mother-in-law had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and lost her battle within this last year as well. I still feel an emptiness in my life where these folks once inhabited but my memories are full of all kinds of wonderful as I remember how each of them touched my life individually. Leading up to this Fall/Winter season, I had contemplated running the Country Music 1/2 again but wasn't certain about the training plan just yet.

Fast forward to today...
That old friend of mine sent me a FB message to inquire if I might be interested in training for the Country Music 1/2 Marathon again. She mentioned that she had trained back in 2010 with Team Rio and would like to give it a shot again. This was definitely music to my ears! Ironically enough, Team Rio supports the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation in Middle TN, and I just happen to have someone to run in honor of this year. This little fella (now 13 years old) came into my life a little over a year ago and has continued to brighten my Sundays. He is my little angel that continues to remind me of why I became a nurse and encourages me to live each day to its fullest. So...I am honored to get to train with Team Rio for this 1/2 marathon in April 2014.
Sign me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment