Saturday, April 14, 2012

10 Miles and Counting

This morning started just as most Saturdays have since February...Training Day with Gilda's Gang. We had an option of knocking out 10 miles or 11 miles. When I first set out on foot, I had thought 11 sounded do-able. By mile 5, I had  to rethink my plan...10 miles seemed more my speed for today considering I have a 12 hour night shift facing me at 7pm this evening. Katie was pumped for training as usual. Mom (aka..me) was not overly excited given that Dannah was obligated to take the ACT this AM so she wouldn't be able to train by my side as I have become so used to since we began this process about 13 weeks ago.

Photo
The Essentials
 I had my water belt in place and my energy snacks planned about every couple of miles. I had great success with the Watermelon and Mixed Fruit Beans a couple of weeks ago so I wanted to try some alternates to see how I would tolerate them on Race Day. Result...loved the Mocha Gu and enjoyed the Tangerine Beans and Watermelon Blocks as I had hoped. The Mocha Gu was like chocolate icing...thought about a nice giant piece of pound cake to make it complete...haha.

The mileage was long so I didn't hesitate to walk a steady, fast pace when I felt more winded or more intense muscle fatigue with the run pace. In addition to pacing myself, I must have had a homing pigeon on my back because I missed 1 turn and ended up almost back to Gilda's Club by mile 8.25. Knowing that I needed the experience of the 10 miles, I simply back tracked and covered a few blocks about 4 more times to get the final 9.8 on the Garmin. Oh, almost forgot to detail that the Garmin was having trouble finding satellites due to the overcast skies. I had already run about 0.25 before it found me so I reset the system and started fresh. All total...probably completed a smidge over 10 miles but whose counting?..hahaha.
I must add the Katie was able to secure her all time high mileage at 11 1/2 miles today. She got lost as well (it must run in the family) but made it back on track and completed it as planned. So proud of her!

Photo
1228 calories, 9.8 miles in 2 hour, 15 min.

Felt that I would debut one of the other Gilda Gang Team members that we have trained with since the beginning. He earned the nickname "Gazelle" based on his stride when he really decides to kick it into high gear. I gave him that nickname after he smoked me and Dannah one Saturday morning on a 4 mile run. The history behind his "story" is that he runs "for all those that can't. " He became involved with Gilda's Gang when his mom was battling breast cancer. She has beat the diagnosis and is doing well thus far. Found out today that he has completed 5 or 6 -1/2 Marathons, a Full Marathon, and several 5K/10K races over the past 3 years or so. The Gazelle has been training with our team but will be running a 1/2 in Louisville on our Race Day as part of "running 1/2 marathons in every state before he leaves this earth." He said that he just focuses on one of his friends/family and their struggles when he even thinks about giving up. Initially, he started his training back in 2008 with a "stranger" from church. As time and common interest have it, they are planning a wedding in August. What an amazing individual to have the privilege of meeting along this journey!
Photo

By the end of today's training, I only had a few areas of concern. Blisters x2 on the feet...the left foot took the brunt of the work today. Somehow I ended up with blisters around my toenail on the right foot. I know sharing pics of my feet on here might be a little creepy so I will spare you. :) However, I feel the need to share my pain...NO PAIN, NO GAIN. I think I will secure a nice Sport Band-aid on the left foot for race day since this blister seems to be recurrent for about 3 weeks now. The hip pain is still present but tolerable since I dosed up with Ibuprofen 800mg last eve and again this morning. I wish I understood why just the left hip is so tender. It seems to resolve within a day after these runs. From what I read on others blogs and websites, a little hip discomfort is normal. Therefore, I will keep going I reckon :)

Now...I am off to eat lunch and nap before the night shift begins.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading about the Gazelle. Great story !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. :) Most of us have a story of some sort but his is worth recognizing for sure.

    ReplyDelete