Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lessons Learned

Mornings that start like this should be added to the category of  "lesson learned". I made the huge mistake of eating and drinking Mexican last night with the family and following it up with a 2 mile walk/jog with David. All was well with the brisk walking but the jogging caused the Margarita to attack the chips and pico de gallo while just hanging out in my gut. Therefore, I spent the better part of the late evening making peace with them as I lay moaning and groaning with gas pangs. Of course, the yuck feeling carried over into this AM as the alarm sounded at 4:15. Dragging myself out of bed and to the gym was the best feeling ever...NOT! However, I allowed my will to overtake my body and knocked out 3.4 miles on the treadmill in about 38 minutes. Ranging from 4.4 to 5.0 miles per hour for the entire time...whoop! whoop! Not bad for the fluffy girl...easiest run on the treadmill in quite a while. The 475 calories didn't hurt my feelings either considering I needed to work that margarita off. The shower at the Y was much needed to say the least and then off to work I went. The day started out well despite my gut's best efforts to ruin a good workout.

  +   +    

                          =


On our walk back to the parking lot today after the workday was complete, my office mate/ bestest work buddy (Ames) and I made our way to the Smoothie King there on campus. I have walked past there many mornings and afternoons on my way to the office but never made it a point to stop. Too many choices on their menu but I managed to settle on the Strawberry Kiwi Breeze this trip. The super nice fella at the counter told me that I could have the medium (32oz) for about 400 calories since I could make it "skinny" which leaves the extra sugar out of the equation. I substituted 2 Splenda out of fear that it would be too tart with no extra sweetener. The drink was awesome until I slurped down the last bit and thought to look it up on the website to see the Nutritional Facts in writing. The site said plainly that "Since this smoothie does not contain turbinado, it can not be made skinny." Well, that just sucked since the calorie count for the medium ended up being 564 calories instead of 400. Guess I will have to work extra hard at the gym tomorrow thanks to my over-indulgence and poor advice. Just another "lesson learned".
Strawberries, Kiwi, Papaya, Protein Blend       
My stop at Smoothie King was not a complete bust though. I ran across a GREAT high protein and low calorie snack that is quite yummy! Have you ever had Jerky made of Beef and Ostrich? Well, I will tell you that I have enjoyed beef, turkey, and deer jerky over the years but NEVER ostrich until today. I could buy a case of this and enjoy every last chew :)
Ostrim Beef & Ostrich Meat Jerkee - Pepper/Teriyaki
Calories 60, Protein 10 grams
Total Fat 1.5 grams

Planning ahead...Friday will be my official "Back on Track" weigh in. Friday the 13th...should be an easy day to remember. Now that doesn't mean that I am going hog wild until then. I just wanted to have a starting date for documented weekly weigh-in and Friday just seems logical. Long story short...I have been struggling with eating in moderation for months now.Thank goodness I have been able to maintain my weight loss with all of the moderately intense exercise that I have endured. I can't seem to shake that over-indulgent tendency with my portions. Therefore, I will reveal my official weight on Friday in hopes of holding myself accountable to someone besides myself and the scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment