Thursday, April 4, 2013

Keeping it Real

When I raised my head off of the pillow this morning (Thursday), some of my first thoughts were directed toward the day ahead. During my physical on Tuesday, my Primary Care MD reminded me that being 40 years old entitled me to a annual visit to outpatient radiology for nothing less than a gentle squeeze. Now, what gal wouldn't look forward to that kind of day ahead of her?....hahaha...snicker with an undertone of sarcasm. 

The morning was spent catching up with my co-workers on the latest and greatest that I had missed while being out of the office for the last week. Then, the clock struck 10:15am...it was time. Working in health care for 20 plus years had only prepared me for the worst of what was to come. I had heard horror stories of how painful the procedure was and how much I needed to dread it year after year. I won't bore you with the details of the procedure other than to tell you that I think I can be the poster child for mammography. In fact, the mammogram technician told me that my tatas were some of the best for mammograms. You know...the ones that look like ping pong balls hanging in a tube sock whether I am on my hands and knees or standing tall. Well, of course, she didn't say those exact words but I figured that's what she meant...hehehe. The truth is...I used to have saggy Double D's...now I have saggy C's after the 60 pound weight loss and 2 kids later. Nevertheless, I managed to make it through today's procedure without ill feeling. The technician and the student were nothing less than exceptional in my professional and personal opinion. After all, to put up with a nurse dealing with their own health issues...that is reason enough for them to celebrate at 5 o'clock..QUITTING TIME.

                                 

Today was really just an average day of work that rolled into a rather extraordinary evening. I was counting on a fairly average work day followed by a typical pharmaceutical company dinner at a local venue. But...that ideal was completely destroyed within the first hour after the work day ended. The kind of destruction that everyone needs occasionally. As I sat at the bar of the dinner venue, Sardinia, sipping on a fancy beer with 2 of my co-workers (Shelly and Linda), I realized how much I had missed real girl time. Just hanging with ladies after work sharing mindless conversation about juicing, continuing education, and current issues of our health care system....that's what I call quality time. My intention was to choose a "lite" beer before dinner but that didn't happen...I am blaming Shelly for that one :) It was quite tasty though so no complaints.My hubby would be proud that I didn't drink that sissy beer that was the usual go-to in place of my margarita.


Then, after that beer and a "little" wine later...I made a pig of myself on numerous delicious appetizers included Moscardini (which is baby octopus with celery, black olives and tomatoes), Formaggi (Board of cheeses...oh my, this was divine), veal meatballs and pasta, and the list could go on and on. I blame Linda for me stuffing my face with all of the appetizers, especially the octopus :) By the time my main course of scallops and mixed vegetables arrived, I was more than stuffed but couldn't resist eating all 3 of those giant scallops. Jeez a meez, what a pitiful sight I was.

Formaggi
                             

Oh, by the way, I couldn't share all of the appetizer and entree' details and not share our dessert. Good grief with the family-style dessert platters...they just keep coming. SO...I enjoyed a taste or two of most of them and a cup of coffee (my first in 6 weeks) before hitting the road.

But...I lived through it...made it home...and now jotting it down so that one day I can look back on my foolish ways. Lesson learned...my toes look like sausages now...and I am exhausted. Tomorrow...juicing and drinking loads of water to cleanse the soul and the gut are the focus of my nutrition. BoUnCiNg right back on that wagon without looking back!

After a day like today, I can reflect back and just be thankful for opportunities to laugh and learn both in my professional and personal life. I try not to take any day for granted since none are guaranteed to us. As I witnessed (first-hand) how awesome the Vanderbilt staff (specifically mammography) can be even to their co-workers, I am thankful to be part of a health care team that strives to exceed expectations each day that they show up to work. Spending time with some great gals this evening helped me appreciate having friends that "just keep it real". This day will not be forgotten...

Just a little taste of goodness for you:







     

No comments:

Post a Comment